OSEE Monitors with 3D Calibration LUTs
The following OSEE models support calibration 3D LUTs.
CalMAN Required Software
CalMAN Ultimate, CalMAN Studio, or CalMAN Studio with an OSEE license can be used to create 3D LUTs for OSEE monitors.
CalMAN Required Workflow
Color Cube (3D LUT)
OSEE Monitor Control Port
Ethernet RJ-45 port (rear panel)
For a CalMAN computer to control an OSEE monitor over a network connection, the computer and the monitor must both be connected to the same local network, on the same subnet. The first three sections of the monitor’s IP address must match that of the local network (i.e. 192.168.1.xx).
You can check the monitor’s IP address on its Status screen. If the monitor’s IP address is not the same subnet as the local network, the monitor’s IP address can be changed through the monitor’s web interface.
If the CalMAN computer is connected to multiple networks, or has VMware Fusion or Parallels installed, you may be unable to connect CalMAN to the monitor.
Create 3D LUT File
CalMAN 3D LUT Monitor Calibration
Follow this procedure to create an optimized software 3D LUT calibration file, ready to be manually loaded into an OSEE monitor:
- In CalMAN, load the "Color Cube (3D LUT)" workflow.
- Proceed through each step of the workflow in the normal fashion, using the following notes for OSEE-specific procedures on the indicated workflow pages.
Initial Setup section
In the Initial Setup section of the Color Cube (3D LUT) workflow, step through the following pages:
Session Setup - Meter Connect
- Connect your color meter to the CalMAN computer.
- On the Session Setup page, click the Find Meter button.
- On the Find Meters dialog, select your meter if it is listed, then click Search. If your meter is not listed on the Find Meters dialog, just click Search.
Session Setup - Source Connect
- On the Session Setup page, click the Find Source button.
- On the Find Source dialog, under Manufacturer, select ‘OSEE.’
- Under Model, select ‘OSEE - Pattern Generator.’
- Enter the OSEE monitor’s IP address.
- Click Connect.
- On the CalMAN Source Settings tab, check the “Disable 3D LUT” box.
Note: If you disconnect the CalMAN connection to the OSEE monitor, before you reconnect to the monitor you need to power cycle the monitor with the rear panel power switch. Otherwise, test pattern control will be unreliable or non-functional.
Every time the source generator in the monitor is accessed, the monitor is placed in “Native” mode, so we do not want the source to be disconnected and reconnected during any CalMAN operation.
Session Setup - LUT Device Setup
- On the Session Setup page, click the Find 3D LUT Device button.
- On the Find Display dialog, under Manufacturer, select ‘SpectraCal.’
- Under Model, select ‘SpectraCal - Cube Generator (OSEE).’
- Click Connect.
Session Options page
On the Session Options page, under Input Signal Levels, select ‘PC (0-255).’
Display Pre-Test section
In the Display Pre-Test section of the Color Cube workflow, you can measure the performance of the monitor before you calibrate it.
- On the Gamma & ColorChecker page, click the Read Series button to measure the monitor’s pre-calibration performance.
Display Optimization section
Skip the entire Display Optimization section of the workflow. Skip directly to the 3D Cube LUT page in the Display Calibration section.
Display Calibration section
In the Display Calibration section of the Color Cube workflow, there are provisions for calibrating both a 1D RGB LUT (1D Ramp LUT page) and a 3D cube LUT (3D Cube LUT page). When you are calibrating an OSEE monitor with a 3D LUT, skip the 1D Ramp LUT page (1D RGB LUT) and use only the 3D Cube LUT page.
1D Ramp LUT page
Skip the CalMAN 1D Ramp LUT page (a 1D LUT does not need to be created for the OSEE monitor).
3D Cube LUT page
- On the 3D Cube LUT page, click the AutoCal (rotating arrows) button at the right end of the meter action buttons. The AutoCal Setup dialog then appears.
- Under File Path, select the desired directory path and provide a name for the LUT file that CalMAN will create (e.g. monitor ID and date).
- Note: The default location where CalMAN saves LUT files that it creates is: \Documents\SpectraCal\CalMAN xxx\LUTs.
- Under Calibration Type, select your desired type of 3D LUT calibration process.
- IR Profile (time based): Creates the best quality display calibration 3D LUT possible in the selected period of time. You select how much display quality you have time for, from 30 minutes to maximum display quality (6,000 points max). Uses Intelligent Resolution Profiling to search out the most nonlinear color space areas and correct those first.
- IR Profile (point based): Creates the best quality display calibration 3D LUT possible with the selected number of measurement points (1,000 - 10,000 points). Uses Intelligent Resolution Profiling to search out the most nonlinear color space areas and correct those first.
- Lightning LUT: Creates a display calibration 3D LUT in five minutes or less. Produces a very high quality result on professional displays with moderate linearity. Displays with significant nonlinearity may produce marginal results.
- Click OK.
Upon completion of the AutoCal 3D software LUT calibration process, CalMAN automatically saves the optimized LUT calibration data to an OSEE 33x33x33 .cube format LUT file in your selected drive location.
OSEE Monitor 3D LUT Load
When CalMAN completes its automatic 3D LUT calibration, the created LUT file is ready to be manually loaded into the OSEE monitor. Use the OSEE-supplied utility to load the software 3D LUT calibration .cube file into the monitor.
After loading the CalMAN generated LUT:
- With the monitor’s internal web server, toggle the monitor’s required color space and color temp Off, then On.
- On the CalMAN Source Settings tab, uncheck the “Disable 3D LUT” box.
Display Validation section
After you have loaded the 3D calibration LUT into the OSEE monitor, you can test the performance of the monitor, to validate the accuracy of the monitor with the 3D calibration LUT loaded.
- On the CalMAN Source Settings tab, un-check the “Disable 3D LUT” box.
- On the Gamma & ColorChecker page, in the Display Validation section of the Color Cube workflow, click the Read Series button to measure the monitor’s post- calibration performance.
- If you wish, you can switch back to the Gamma & ColorChecker page, in the Display Pre-Test section of the workflow, to compare to the monitor’s pre-calibration performance.
DONE – OSEE 3D LUT calibration and setup is complete.