CalMAN Recommended Workflows
HT Basic or SI Basic to optimize display Picture controls and calibrate white balance tracking.
Recommended Test Patterns
Plasma displays exhibit power supply luminance limiting with high brightness, high APL test patterns. This can cause incorrect luminance measurements. To avoid this situation with plasma displays, use test patterns with the smallest window size available from your test pattern source. Under Window Size, on the Source Settings panel, select the smallest window size that works with your color meter.
Required Panasonic Firmware
Any version is acceptable
Panasonic Control Port
- DB9 female to DB9 female straight-through RS-232
(pin2 – pin2, pin3 – pin3)
Panasonic Setup Process
To connect your computer to a VX100 with a serial cable:
- Connect a DB9 female to DB9 female straight through RS-232 cable between the display and the CalMAN computer (if necessary, use a USB to serial adapter).
CalMAN Connection Procedure
To connect CalMAN to the Panasonic display and enable the ISF mode:
- In CalMAN, under Find Display, select “Panasonic – VX100 (RS-232).”
- Under Serial Connection, select the com port connected to the VX100.
- Click Connect on the display connect panel.
- In CalMAN, on the Display Control panel.
- Under Display Mode Selection, select ISF Day or ISF Night.
- Under Active Grayscale Points, select 2 points.
Panasonic DDC Picture Controls:
Panasonic Picture controls are available within the CalMAN software, allowing you to make display adjustments in the software, rather than using the display’s remote control. On those calibration workflow steps where you need to make a manual display adjustment (e.g. Brightness, Contrast, etc.), you can open the CalMAN DDC panel to make those adjustments from the CalMAN screen.
Panasonic Display Calibration:
- Color Temp – Select WARM for color temperature closest to the D65 target.
- Color Management (auto color) – Select OFF to disable auto color adjustment.
- Advanced Settings/Black Extension – Set to 0.
- Advanced Settings/Gamma – Select 2.2 or 2.4 to test for best performance to selected target.
- Advanced Settings/AGC (auto black level) - Select OFF to disable auto black level.
- Advanced Settings/Studio Gain - Select OFF.